Sunday, July 27, 2008

Tropical Paradise..... but still a 3rd world country

I loved being able to experience a culture completely different from ours. It was cool to see people so happy who lived a simple life, although I do enjoy some things that the US has to offer (like Dr Pepper, did I mention a week withdrawal?)
We decided everyone there had something to sell. This lady was selling shoes on her head. Now that takes balance.
An example of the amazing work the power companies over there do. Wouldn't quite pass code in the US.
This was a street there with people selling fruit and vegetables all along the street like a market. It was cool, but I was definately wary of eating anthing sitting out in the sun all day with the flies.
This was a taxi we took. Each time we had to fit 7-8 people in each taxi and it was quite the experience. If anything had four wheels there, it was a taxi, whether licensed or not. Most of them did not have a working odometer or gas gauge. Not that it mattered since they were the craziest drivers you have ever seen and they never follow stop signs, stop lights, lane markings, or speed limits. My poor grandma about had a heart attack.

2 comments:

Brian & Kerrian said...

How fun Cherise!!! Sounds like it was AMAZING!!! I can't believe your brother did a canon ball on during a photo shoot!! That is funny!!! Hope your all rested up from your fun vacation :)

Chris and Joy said...

What a mess with those power lines! I can't wait till Chris sees that picture. He may not think twice about calling ComEd 'commical ed'!

I don't know how people balance baskets full of goods on top of their heads successfully. I can hardly walk carrying a diaper bag and a baby!

Our family is always up for a great adventure and we are all kids at heart, so we wanted to share our adventures and moments with you! Enjoy!